Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya

Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya
Kim and Toto with neighborhood kids in front of Kale Children's Library

Friday, July 8, 2011

Going solo

Traveling alone has not been difficult, as long as I am the one to make the effort to greet people, preferably in their mother tongue. A smile goes a long way but a few words goes much farther. Most Kenyans speak English, but they seem unsure of me. Who is this crazy mzungu traveling alone on a bicycle? Once the ice is broken, we speak in a mixture of English and Kiswahili. People are actually more open to me now and raised prices I feared has not happened much. People must have thought I hired Toto as my personal bodyguard so they viewed me in a totally different way. For the past few days I have been biking uphill at a 45 degree angle in the foothills of Mount Kenya. From Meru to Embu, I was greeted with banana and papaya trees in the valleys and tea fields on the steep slopes. I've entered the Embu tribal area, so now I greet villagers with "Ni mweega!" instead of "Muga muno!". I decided to take a rest from the sleazy places I usually sleep at after I discovered the Boy Scout Training Center. Rooms are only $4.00 and no worries about drunk men and all night loud music. I can even watch Nigerian soap operas in the cafeteria. As I leave the shadow of Mt. Kenya, the road drops into rice paddies, which I'll be looking forward to on tomorrow's ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment