Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya

Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya
Kim and Toto with neighborhood kids in front of Kale Children's Library

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm missing Isiolo like I'm missing home

There was a knot in my stomach the day we had to leave Isiolo. Toto boarded a bus headed for Nairobi where he had swimming lessons to teach. I was nervous about traveling alone. Not for my personal safety, but for the prices I might be charged. When you are a Mzungu (white person) in Kenya, the prices automatically go up. I know the price of almost everything by now and have learned a few words of Kiswahili, so that helps. Leaving Isiolo was like leaving home. I felt so at ease there because I was surrounded by Afaan Oromo speakers, women wearing hijabs, mosques dotting the landscape, the smell of sambusa(samosa)and Somali restaurants. The hotels owned by Muslims there always have an open courtyard, built as a space for the men to say their daily prayers. However, the large, open area beckens people to sit communally whether it is to chew khat, drink tea, or talk. I have not seen the open courtyards in any other hotel I stayed at so far. Since I teach at a Somali school in St. Paul and many of my friends are Oromo, Isiolo was as close as it gets to home. Now I am in Meru, a small city in the Meru tribal area. Traveling alone has been easy so far. I found my $5.00 "hotel" (brothel) which was quite noisy all night but I felt safe there as long as I didn't venture out of my room after 9 p.m. I met Naitore, one of the maids, who invited me for dinner to meet her daughters. Yesterday I spent in the countryside, talking to the farmers, practicing my Kiswahili, watching old men play Mankala, and reading a novel.

4 comments:

  1. Kim! you are an amazing person, I love how fearless you are.The way you travel all over the world meeting everyone taking them all in, you are such a good example of what we all could be, open of heart and mind. travel well, love and peace, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Muzunguu!
    bayyee bayyee nama gammachisaa, dawanaa kee nama haja'ibaa akasumaan itti fufii.....
    Jabadhuu!!!!
    Aga

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are innumerable reasons for people to turn up as "missing." It is observed that the number of missing persons in the U.S.  missing person private investigators

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article reveals some simple ways anyone can harness the power of Internet search engines to trace missing persons online. The article is aimed at private individuals, and also at professional private investigators. how to find a deadbeat dad

    ReplyDelete