Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya

Kale Children's Library, Nairobi, Kenya
Kim and Toto with neighborhood kids in front of Kale Children's Library

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Launching Biking for Books 2012

Am I really in East Africa? It feels like I came home. Although I will welcome my room in St. Paul come August, the road is home for now. Toto and I leave tomorrow for our Biking for Books trip to Mfangana Island in Lake Victoria, Western Kenya. Our campaign raised about $500, a donated laptop, three donated cameras, and 15 pairs of donated athletic shoes. Chege was like a kid when he saw those shoes for his neighborhood soccer team, the Doves. How he will distribute 15 pairs of shoes to 22 boys, I don't know. I left that one up to him. Toto's mind is already working overtime on how he will utilize the cameras and laptop. He's a master at community organizing (think Obama) and I guarantee photos will follow once he gets things rolling. Toto, Chege, and I would like to thank all of you who donated and/or support us in our efforts to inspire youth in Kenya to be physically and mentally active.

No comments:

Post a Comment